Monday, June 04, 2007

You Got To Wonder ?

I've been hearing the last while of a spousal abuse case that apparently has been going on for quite awhile in a small town. Everyone in the town seems to know about the abuse, but no one including the spouse seems to want to do anything about it. I would say that anyone who actually knows about this abuse is guilty of not reporting same. This means actual evidence of an abuse being committed and not just hear say. The spouse also could be chastised if she doesn't take action, but in a lot of cases it is understandable as the spouse (usually the woman) is afraid of retribution.

Coming from my background in law enforcement, I'm having a hard time believing in this day and age the spouse at least wouldn't take some action to alleviate the situation. Under the Saskatchewan Emergency Intervention Act there is definitely a very real method to control an abuser. I just have to question why the person who states they are or have been abused has not at least attempted to use some of the lawful assists to curtail the abuser.

I'm sorry, but I just have no time for anyone who abuses the other in a relationship. If the relationship is not working, then you get a lawful separation and if you are unable to reconcile, then you look at a more permanent situation (ie divorce). To continue to live in such a situation is ridiculous in this day and age. Maybe 20 or 30 years ago you could comprehend staying in an abusive relationship for the children, etc, but it just doesn't work nowadays.

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but I feel that if a marriage (or living arrangement) isn't working, then why the heck would you not attempt to move on with your life and get to a better living arrangement? Agreed, the first step is a bitch, but then what is worse, living in abusive arrangement or taking the first step to get free from the abuse?

No comments: