Sunday, February 03, 2008

Brass Monkeys ?

The weather this past week has certainly been a challenge for everyone. Myself is no exception. Last Monday when I got up to do the papers the weather guage was showing a nice -51 C with the wind. Needless to say I dressed appropriately (or so I thought) for the weather.

To make matters worse we had the snow overnight. That meant that I was plowing through snow drifts trying to get to everyone's mailbox to deliver their morning paper. A normal one hour walk took me almost an hour and forty-five minutes. The weather had not really improved much throughout my walk either.

While I was walking I noticed the cold on my face so I pulled down my balaclava to cover my face. The only problem with this is as soon as I breathed out my glasses were instantly covered in an icy fog. I didn't want to take my glasses off as I had no place to put them while I finished my route. I figured they were so cold it would only take a bit of a bend and the plastic would snap in half. So I left them on and tryed to see over top, underneath or around the lenses. I also had to pull down my face mask a bit to try and help with the fogging effect.

Once I got home I knew that I had a bit of frost bite as my right cheek was tingling a bit. I took a peak in the mirror and could see a toonie sized spot was definitely frozen up. It was fairly red and tender to the touch, but not too terribly bad.

On Tuesday morning the temperature sure had not improved very much. I once again pulled the face mask down and struggled trying to see through my fogged up glasses. But seeing as the cheek had frozen up the day before, I knew it would be more likely to freeze quite easily. It sure is not very nice walking with your head cocked to the side.

Wednesday morning came with the the temperatures still in the deep freeze. Today I decided I'd try to do my route without my glasses on. I don't think I've been without my glasses other than when sleeping for about 40 years. I just don't have great vision without the cheaters. At 5:30 a.m. I headed out without my specs on. Other than the extra coldness on my eyes, it wasn't too bad. I could see well enough to get the papers to the correct addresses. The nice part was that I was able to keep the face mask firmly in place and was actually quite toasty throughout my walk. Thursday and Friday I again went without my glasses with no problem. Finally on Saturday the temps warmed up a bit and I could once again wear my glasses.

However, getting back to the heading. On Monday and Tuesday I certainly learned to appreciate the old saying 'it's so cold it would freeze a brass monkeys balls off'.

I'm not a monkey, nor am I made of brass, but damn did a certain part of the old anatomy get damn chilly :) Thankfully I did not end up with any frozen appendages so that is a good thing to my thinking!

No comments: