Saturday, February 03, 2007

It Figures!!

As I was sitting here moaning my sore nose and chest from all the coughing I've been doing, my neighbour Ernie calls me up to see what I'm doing. "Oh nothing much other than half-way dying from a cold". Sorry to hear that he says, but he wanted to thank me for clearing out the back alley and his yard so he can park next to his house and plug his car in. Hey, it doesn't take too long and gives 'big red' a little more running time.

After a bit of small talk, he then pops the question whether I would consider curling for him in the Thursday night league. Now this call was about 5 pm and curling started at 7 pm. My first thought was if he had actually looked at my win/loss record from the Senior League or not, but I kept that to myself having a bit of pride you know. I did question him on the calibre of the curlers noting that I'm not up in the Brier League just yet. He assured me it was more a fun thing than anything else and I would fit in just fine.

I then thought about my cold and all the coughing I had been doing. I was tempted to decline the invite but of course he embellished the story that someone had walked off with his curling gear and one of the other team mates was down holidaying in Florida. This means they would be down to only 2 curlers and you can't have a game that way. So being the softy I am (or is that masochist) I agreed to replace Ernie in the game.

Once I got to the hall and saw some of the curlers showing up I definitely had second thoughts about my decision. These were darn good curlers showing up for the draws. After a few minutes a few other folks showed up that I wasn't familiar with, so I figured I'd already said I would, so I might as well follow through. I explained to the skip that I was only a last minute replacement and I definitely was not a 'Super Curling' type curler. He assured me it would be okay.

We headed out to the ice to get ready to play. Great start, we lost the flip and got to throw first stones. The end went by okay with lots of rocks in play and me sweeping up and down the sheet almost dying from a lack of oxygen. At the completion of all the rocks there were 2 yellow stones counting. I had to rub my eyes though at first and give myself a pinch as our team were actually throwing yellows rocks so that meant we were up 2 to 0.

The second end completed and we had 3 more counters sitting in the rings. This definitely was a GREAT game going on as far as I was concerned. In actual fact, the other team wasn't doing so swell even though they have played together for a while. The rocks just were not going where they wanted them to go this evening.

The score after 6 complete ends of play was 12-0 for our team. At this point, the other team conceded and we got to depart the ice surface. Now I'm not usually one to just throw in the towel when some good exercise is available, but I was all for it this night. I had drank down about half a glass full of cough medicine (none of those sissy little teaspoons for me) before the curling started and I hadn't done too badly coughing thoughout the game, but the reserves just weren't there. I was plumb tuckered and more than willing to call it a night.

We shook hands and everyone retired to the local watering hole to quench their thirst. Sadly, I was not one of those that attended to 'Buck's Bar' that evening. Sam and I got in the truck and we headed for home. Enough was enough. I needed some rest and fast. It was either that or I was going to fall down from exhaustion.

Too bad I can't use this game for my 'Senior League' curling. Two "W's" are a way more impressive looking than just a lonely one "W" to my thinking.

No comments: