Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Snow Keeps On Coming

We have had snow and blowing snow for the last couple of days and I'm getting a little tired with it all. We were in the city on Tuesday to do a bit of shopping and ran into snow on the way into the city. While in the city the snow increased and then the winds started to pick up.

I had a few stops to make before we could make our break for the country once again. Of course my eye was watching the impending blizzard conditions with a bit of trepidation. However, I'll gladly exchange the slippery city streets for some lower visibility driving out in the country.

I think the city of Saskatoon is trying to save a few bucks or something as the roads are just atrocious. These are not the side streets, these are the main roads such as 8th Street, 33rd Street, etc. However, in all honesty it is hard to keep the roads sanded when the snow and blowing snow is just moving the sand around all of the time.

We did make it back home safe and sound although it took a bit longer than normal, but then it is winter and you expect the sub standard road conditions. The wind continued to pick up throughout the evening and we had a mini blizzard around 11pm or so. It was nowhere as bad as it was with the full flown blizzard a week or so though.

So Wednesday morning I fired up 'big red' and cleared out the driveways and sidewalks around our house. It normally takes about 60-90 minutes to get it all done which is good exercise as far as I'm concerned. But this week I've caught a bit of a cold so it isn't the best situation to try and fight the snow.

Then last night as I was sitting watching the boob tube, the darn wind started to pick up and then it started snowing again. Once again we had ourselves a mini blizzard. After I got up this morning, I sat and looked out the window at the driveway and was tempted to say 'to hell with it' and let it sit. But then I thought a bit more and decided to head out into the weather once again.

Brrrr, it was a lot colder out there today as the temperature was sitting near the -25 point and then a fairly gusty wind on top of that. But 90 minutes later I got to park 'big red' once again. My world was at peace once again, and the driveways, sidewalks, next door neighbor's driveways, etc were all nice and clear and ready for the next onslaught.

As I'm sitting here typing this, the darn wind is picking up once again. The forecast is calling for 'light snow' in our area, but the forecasters are warning of blizzard conditions south of us in the Regina area. Those forecasters have been wrong before, but I'm hoping that they aren't this time.

I looked in on the fellow from Tomkins, Saskatchewan who predicts weather by chewing on Pig Spleens to see what he had for a forecast. It doesn't look good as far as I can tell, but the only consolidation I have is that I hope he is talking about 'southern Saskatchewan' and not for us folks that are little bit north of Regina. Afterall, we do have at least 1 or 2 trees up in this neck of the woods to block off some of that darn wind.

We can always hope, can't we?

1 comment:

Shar-Lee said...

I can't help but feel those tree comments are directed at me! Lol!

Sorry to brag, but no blizzard here yet! And I've just noticed we don't even have the blizzard watch anymore! Looks like us good folks in the south escaped Mother Nature's wrath yet again! It is cold though, -34 with the wind chill, one thing about having no trees is when the wind blows, it blows hard!