Thursday, July 19, 2007

Warm Day for a Road Trip


I normally am not an early morning person, however, today I did make the exception and got out of the sack earlier than normal. My mother (who is 76) wanted some help in cleaning up her mother's grave and wanted some assistance. How in the heck are you supposed to say 'no' to your 76 year old mother? Why even try and why should you. I was absent enough years throughout my working career that I most definitely would not be denying mom's request.

Last week when I was in the city I had purchased some supplies and in the last week I readied the very basic supplies for my grandmother's grave (ie painting, cutting, etc).

Early this morning we headed for the city and met mom and headed westbound to the what used to be called the town of Kelfield. The town (village or hamlet) doesn't officially exist anymore as everyone has essentially moved away or passed on save for a few folks that live in the area. There is no more the thriving town of 1950's vintage. Just a few empty buildings and a couple of families that live in the former town confines.

On arrival we found that the local graveyard had been recently mowed and to my eye it looked very well kept. Kudos to folks that look after this cemetery. It is a great job that you do.

My grandmothers grave is a very simple site with a headstone. My older brother Richard, who was raised by our grandmother, had built the form to mark the grave back in about 1992. The weather had taken it's toll over the years on the lumber and the form was literally turning to sawdust. So we created a new form to replace the previous form, painted it up and placed it around the grave site.



While I was busy putting the forms together, Rick cleaned the weeds from the grave with help from my son Craig. Once put in place, it definitely seemed to spruce up the final resting place of a great lady and a grandpa that I barely knew.

I hope that both Grandma and Grandpa Penley rest a bit easier knowing that someone still cares for them even after all these years...




Rest In Peace . . .

1 comment:

Shar-Lee said...

Kelfield... I didn't realize your family was from that neck of the woods... my Mom's foster Dad Bill McClure was from the Kelfield area... small world.