Saturday, March 31, 2007

New Toy

I'm a bit late with this posting as it actually occurred last weekend (March 24/25th), but better late than never...

Seeing as it was Sheila's first weekend in the last number of years that she wasn't employed by Great West, she decided the family would come up to Hanley to visit and I could bbq steaks for supper for the crew. This was going to be on Saturday night supper. Was she nervous about her new occupation? Nah, she just wanted a good steak done by the 'old guy'. Sure, sure, sure :)

For Friday night supper we figured just burgers and hot dogs. On Friday afternoon I purchased propane for the bbq, hooked it up and fired it up. Was I disappointed. The flame was just horrible. This was the first time I'd fired up the cue for quite a few months so I figured I'd better get my hands dirty and lift out the briquettes and see what was underneath. Once I had the briquettes out I could immediately see the problem was my burner element. It was totally burnt out.

I reflected for a few seconds on when I had actually bought this bbq and in reality it was not that long ago. From my calculations I feel the cue is only about 8 years old. Now you have to remember I always cover the cue when I'm finished. Of course it has sat out in the weather, but it had a cover on it at all times. Once we moved to Hanley I covered it for the first year, but on the second year I didn't. When I looked out on the deck I saw that the snow etc was not able to get in under the roof to cover the bbq so what was the need to cover it? I don't think this one year of not covering it was the reason for the burner burning out so quickly, but the possibility is there.

I had a couple of options to follow. I could dig out James bbq out of the shed and use it or I could dig out my old bbq that was purchased in the early 80's (ie 1981-82). I looked at James's bbq and then I looked at my old one and decided on mine as it had a much larger cooking area.

I pulled it through the slush and snow and got it set up on the deck with the propane tank and fired it up. This cue also needs a new burner, but it was not anywhere as bad as the current model. What's that old saying 'They don't make anything like they used to?'.

We cooked up our burgers and dogs on Friday nite with no problems. Meanwhile I contemplated my newer cue and decided it was probably best to look at a new version. Of course Sheila had to point out a current sale that was going on at Zellers. It certainly looked promising.

Early Saturday morning, Sam and I jumped in the truck and heading for Toon Town. We found the bbq section and I knew that it was our next purchase. But just to be fair, I asked Sam for her opinion. As normal she agreed with me and we purchased ourselves a new bbq. The store staff placed it in the back of my truck and we were off heading southbound for Hanley.

Once we arrived back in Hanley at about 1:30 pm, Wendell and I wrestled the huge box out of the truck and started to put it together in the garage. By 3:15 pm we were done putting the beast together so we moved it outside and installed the propane tank, fired it up and checked it out.

I definitely was impressed with it all. The new cue has 1027 square inches of cooking space on the main grill. Overall it has 84,000 BTU heating with a side burner on the left side. It also came equipped with a rotisserie for doing up roasts, chickens or anything that needs to be turned (I think small pigs would qualify).

After I powered up the cue, I turned the 6 burners onto 'high' and the temperature climbed to 550-600 within about 30 seconds. I figured maybe I could use this thing as a welder if it got much hotter! I turned all the burners down to 'low' and the heat gauge settled in at a comfortable 350 degrees F. Yup, I was impressed.

Needless to say I was able to cook up 7 larger steaks, 4 larger potatoes and 2 larger tinfoil pouches of vegetables with lots of room to spare.

As Craig hasn't had a chance to view my new toy, I thought I'd let him take a peak with a few pics. Yah I know Craig, your Habachi still works, but this beast is for serious cooking :) Craig, you are more than welcome to come for a steak supper (or any other serious cooking) anytime and see how she works.

Bring the wobbly pops or something similar !!



1 comment:

Shar-Lee said...

Unfortunately for us we don't eat beef, but if we bring the chicken and some beers will you still cook?