Sunday, March 11, 2007

WOW! What a Lot of Deer

For the last month or so every time we drive into or out of the city we have been presented with a huge herd of whitetail deer in the fields along the side of the highway. Whatever the local farmer planted in the field sure must taste good to these deer as they are always browsing when we go by.

Now these deer are staying in the fields and are not coming across the highway so they certainly are not bothering me (or the other travelling public). Well at least when I have gone by they are nice and comfortable in the field. Of course I don't do a lot of driving during the late evening/night time. In the evening/night there could be a lot more movement across the highway, however, there is not a lot of dead deer along the ditches. That is a plus as normally you always see 8-10 dead deer on the side of the road in the 60 km or so stretch of highway into the city.

As we were driving south this afternoon we were watching for the deer and they were exactly where they always have been this last month. I'm definitely going to have to take along my camera and try and get a few shots of the herd. Most folks just wouldn't believe there were that many deer so close to the city. Just as a rough estimate I would say there has to be between 100 and 150 deer in this one little field. This is just what you can see from the road. How many more are in behind a bush or over the next hill, etc.

It is just amazing and the really neat thing is that as the deer browse they'll look up as the traffic goes by and they don't even move an inch. It's as if they know they have nothing to fear while they are up in the field and away from the highway.

I'm heading into the city again on Wednesday so I'll definitely be taking my camera along to see if I can get a shot or two.

No comments: