Monday, January 29, 2007

Curling Day

As today was a Monday, I had curling again. Of course last week was a first in that the team I was on actually won the game. This wrecked my perfect record of losses though, but then I thought I might just be on a roll.

Just prior to the start of the game the skip came up to me and told me I was going to be the 3rd today. I normally play the 2nd stones and know diddly squat about what a 3rd does. With the flu going around, the 3rd decided 10 minutes prior to the start of the game to call in that he was sick and wouldn't be coming. Of course this didn't leave us any time to call in one of the spares, so we went with only 3 players for the game. The lead and myself got to throw 3 rocks each end instead of the normal two.

The first end came together quite nicely and we scored 2 points (almost had 3). It looked like we just may have a chance of staying in front of the other team. On the 2nd end we scored another point to be up 3-0. However, on the 3rd end, they scored 3 points. Then on the 4th we scored another point and the score was 4 to 3. On the 5th end there were all kinds of rocks in play. Darn if at the finish of the end there were 4 counters. Sadly it was for the other team. So now of course we were in a big hole at 7 to 4 for the other team.

We oned them on ends 5, and 6 and they scored one on the 7th. The score was 8-6 going into the last end with our team having the hammer. We put our rocks right where the skip wanted them to allow us to get extra scores, but sadly we only ended up counting one on the end. The final score was 8-7 for the other team.

But at least I feel better now that my record is back on track. It was bothering me to have that one big 'W' under my belt. My hat was getting a bit tight and all that so it was gratifying in getting back to where I belong, 6 Losses and 1 Win.

Boy did I have a short roll, however, being that we were one team member short meant that we had to sweep harder to get the same result. That meant more exercise for me and of course that is the whole point of going out for curling.

Exercise and fun, that is the reason for the 'Senior Curling League'.

No comments: