Monday, January 15, 2007

Stuck in the South

When I got home from curling I had a message waiting from James. He wanted me to give him a call when I could, so I returned the call. He did get loaded, however, now he is over weight and needs permits. He is now sitting on the north edge of Houston.

The boss was trying to line up some permits for him to start trucking again and hopefully would have them today. It was interesting that the boss suggested that maybe James would be able to leave this evening sometime. That gets me to thinking... permits and evenings.

To my thinking, most of the scales are closed in the evenings. So if he is wanting James to travel in the evening/night, then maybe the permits are not actually there, and he wants James to bypass a few scales. That doesn't sound too cricket to me.

James did comment that he was tired of driving at night and wanted to do some driving during the daylight hours. Some truckers like driving at night, and others prefer the daylight hours. I know that James was looking at another job where he would be just driving within a 2 hour limit of home (or so). As well it would be just a Monday to Friday driving job.

It would appear that he is comparing the two jobs and leaning more to the one around home (if it actually materializes). He wouldn't get to see as much country, but hopefully there would be some stability in his life.

My thoughts are you don't throw away something without first having a heck of a good replacement first. Hopefully it all plans out for him.

1 comment:

_ . _ . _ _ . _ said...

Just talked to James... he is still parked on the north edge of Houston and will be for the remainder of the night.

The boss is supposedly going to call him tomorrow at 9 a.m. to give him his permits and highways to take.

The one good thing is that James has moved over to another Flying J and he says this one has much better 'Chinese food' than the others.

I'm expecting him to have a bit of a slant to his eyes with the amount of Chinese food he has been eating for the last couple of days or so ...

Thought for the day...

Texas = Beef cattle....

Canadian trucker = Chinese food

Makes sense ????