Thursday, January 11, 2007

We Survived

That definitely was one heck of a blizzard that blew through this country yesterday. I can honestly say that I haven't seen anything near this bad since I was last up in the arctic in the mid 70's. The last official blizzard that was supposedly worse than this one was back in 1955. At that time I was living in Drayton Valley, Alberta so I missed out on it. About all I can remember back that far was that we had a huge snow fall that year with the snow banks almost up to the telephone/power wires.

We didn't seem to get an over abundance of snow out of the recent storm though. Sure the snow was blown up into drifts, but there wasn't an awful lot of extra snow around. Mind you I took out the snow blower and cleaned up the driveways and sidewalks around the house this morning and it took me 2 1/2 hours where it usually only takes about an hour.

The reason that it took so much longer to snow blow was because of the snow drifts and the snow was packed in very solidly. Along the side sidewalks the drifts were over the top of the snow blower (3 1/2 feet or so), so I had to be a little more careful.

It also took a bit more work trying to move the blower around today because of the packed snow. The cold weather certainly didn't help at all either. I didn't find it too bad outside as I was dressed for the -30 C temperatures. However, my lungs let me know later when I came in that they had been attacked by breathing in the colder than normal air. My lungs usually act up with the cold weather and it brings on fits of asthma for me.

So for the rest of the day I've been coughing trying to clear out my lungs. I do have an inhalor that I take which does help when this happens, but it still takes awhile to get back to normal once again. I'll probably finish this blog off and then take a few puffs on the inhalors and hit my pillow. Hopefully by morning I should be back to normal.

But we made it through the blizzard no worse for wear. No I think with the cold weather we are just going to hibernate for a couple of days. There is always the boob tube to watch, the internet to play on or just read a book or two.

No comments: