Thursday, November 09, 2006

Doctor's Report

Well I did make it to my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon on Monday the 6th. I got to take a few more xrays of my pelvis area. As if I haven't had enough pictures taken of this particular part of my body lately. As a matter of fact I think I should start wearing a radometer to ensure I'm not getting over my limit of radiation. I'm going to have Sam check to see if I glow in the dark yet.

The doctor went through some twisting and pulling on my legs to see if he could pinpoint the pain area. For the most part he was unsuccessful, however, he was able to find a fairly tender spot at least once. Then another doctor and this fellow came in and double teamed me to see how they could do. The end result was that the doctor did not feel I had anything to worry about.

I enquired about the so called break and about the only thing he could say was that if it was a fracture, then it was a healed fracture at this point in time. For the first time, I did finally get to see the actual xray that supposedly shows the fracture and it doesn't look too broken/fractured to me. But then I'm not a doctor.

After conferring a bit more, the good doctors felt they'd send me back across the hall for some more xrays. This time it was more on my thigh and knee area. I guess when I got nuclear xrayed, there was a bit of something in my knee area.

So I trotted off and got more radiation put through my body once again. On my return, the good doctors looked at the newest pictures and felt there was no problem whatsoever. The end result is that they will schedule me for a follow up in 6 months to see how I'm progressing. Just prior to seeing them the next time they will also get me another visit with the nuclear medicine people to get a whole body scan. My bladder can hardly wait :)

When I visited my family doctor today, I advised him what transpired. He looked at me with a thoughtful look. My question right back to him was if my pelvis/hip area is so fine, then why in heck to I have so much pain in the area. He advised that was his exact question too. He said, well I guess we have to be looking at getting you some pain medication for the area. I advised him that I was not ready for that at this particular point in time. The pain comes and goes and so far I'm not needing pain killers. Just sitting with some heat or cold relieves the soreness so far.

The end result was that I asked both the surgeon and the family doctor about curling and they both gave me the go ahead. Of course they said to be careful, but there was nothing medically they could see that would prevent me from curling. That news was great to hear as I do enjoy the curling and mingling with the other folks in town.

I'm just a bit leery about re-injuring or further aggravating the hip if in fact I do curl. I'll probably give it a try and if it does seem to aggravate it, then I can always 'retire' from curling as well.

So for now the news is somewhat good, but in other ways it isn't so good because I really don't know what went wrong. Or the $100 question of where my fractured pelvis actually came from?

No comments: