Thursday, November 30, 2006

Still Alive

It has been a busy last week or so due to all of the snow we have been getting. Thank goodness for my snow blower. If I had to shovel by hand I think I would give up before I got started due to the amount of snow that needed to be moved around.

However, with the snow blower I am able to do my drive way, my neighbour's drive way behind me, the sidewalk for a block north, west and east of me and my next door neighbour's backyard and alleyway (so he can drive out of the alley). I decided to not do the sidewalk to the south of me as there are no houses on the block. All told it usually takes me about an hour (give or take) to get the blowing done.

The weather has been bitterly cold with the wind so strong, however, I bundle up and normally am sweating by the time I get back in the house. The snow blower does most of the work, however, I do have to try and steer the beast every now and then when it gets a mind of it's own. One thing though I do get lots of fresh air and a bit of exercise.

I do think that I may be jinxing things though with my snow blowing. It seems as soon as I get the darn walks cleared the wind picks up and blows them back in or the darn snow starts coming down once again. I have blown the snow around every day this week. I was out again today and the drifts were probably 24-30 inches across the walks again due to the wind.

We did make it into the city on Wednesday to enable Sam to get her INR work done, do a bit of grocery shopping and assist Connie with her a computer tuneup. The snow and wind were trying to stack the deck against us and keep us from not travelling. On the way into the city the road was snow covered in the passing lane and lots of ground drifting. When we headed home at about 5:30 pm I was a bit apprehensive of the way we'd find the highways, but it was all for naught. The highway was just excellent and we were able to zip right along.

We have no urgent trips planned for the near future so we can pick and choose when we next have to venture out highway. That sure is a lot better than 'having to' make a trip.

No comments: