Thursday, December 28, 2006

Slow Computer - Update

The slow computer that I was working on just prior to Christmas came back for another visit yesterday. When I had returned the computer to the owner, I explained that I wasn't happy with the computer speed although I had cleaned it to the best of my ability. My suggestion was for a bit more RAM as the computer only had 128 megs.

The owner called me and wanted to know if I would insert a new stick of RAM for him as he wasn't comfortable doing it himself. Some computers are a bear trying to get the RAM in, however, this E-Machine was great. Everything was out in the open and I had the new 512 meg stick of RAM in before the fellow backed out of the driveway.

While I had the computer opened, I noticed there was enough dust in there that I could probably knit a sweater or two. I thoroughly cleaned up the dust bunnies and made sure all the plugs were snug as bugs. I then fired the computer up with the new RAM installed and low and behold the beast zips right along.

From my view, it definitely was the RAM that was needed on this computer. The owner should be quite happy as it is peppy as all get out now that it has 640 megs of RAM.
Of course another 512 meg stick would do wonders for the computer. Mind you the computer will only accept two sticks of RAM, but 512 + 512 = 1 gig and that would definitely help XP, SP2 with all upgrades in place.

Customer is now satisfied which makes Dale satisfied.

No comments: