Thursday, September 07, 2006

New Toy For Dale :-)

Hotspex came through with my cheque on Tuesday which was timely as we were heading to the city on Wednesday for our monthly prescription run. As it was like found money I figured we could at least use some of it for fun. So Sam and I went shopping and we bought ourselves a new digitial camera.

http://www.nikon.ca/products/coolpixp4/

My old HP was getting a bit long in the tooth as I've had it for a fair number of years so a new model with all the latest bells and whistles is sure nice to play with. As the camera uses a Li-ion rechargeable battery I purchased a second battery. The 8.1 effective megapixels of image resolution would certainly fill up my existing 64 meg memory card so I also purchased a new 1 gig card. On normal settings the new card holds 465 pictures. At 'extra fine' setting the card holds about 290 pics. I figure that is a lot more than I have to worry about before I transfer the pics to my harddrive, DVD, CD, etc. To keep everything safe I also purchased a new case for the camera, extra battery, memory card etc. So all told with taxes and everything it was just over $500.00.

Easy come, easy go.

I've only had a few hours to play with the camera and so far I'm impressed. Sandra wasn't quite as impressed as I kept using her as the subject to photograph. She figured there had to be a tree outside or something else that needed to photographed a lot more than she did. She did get quite vocal about the whole thing so I eventually got the message and pointed the camera at other targets.

I do have two weeks to play with the camera to see if it is what I really want. If the camera doesn't please me, I can then return it and get a refund or exchange it for another camera. But as said, so far I'm happy. Lot's of pics to take in the next couple weeks to make sure though.

Gosh I like delete keys on digital cameras. I just shudder to think if I was using real film. Ugh :-(

No comments: