Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Survey Scams

With my new found interst in surveys, I have been looking around to increase my options as it pertains to surveys. Of course with other people hearing of my winnings, they have been also looking into surveys. I just wanted to let you know of some of the pitfalls of surveys.

I received an interesting email from one survey company recommending I read another email from a company called Survey Scout. Of course I went and read it and there were all kinds of 'good' report certifications on their site. They even went as far as to put out a personal endorsement from some lady who claims she was making thousands of dollars a month.

Of course with amounts like that, the interest jumped up quite a few notches. Now I read the reports over a couple times and looked at the Survey Scout site a few more times. On the site the company stated: "As I was a logging in at a special time and for a limited time only, they would be waiving their normal $68.00 (US) fees and I could sign on for a low price of $34. (US). This was only good for the next 150 people or so.

After searching around on this site I noticed that it now showed 'for only the next 148 people' and the link for the sign up was only good until Monday, Sep 25th. Of course being a cautious person that I am, I wanted to investigate some more, but let me tell you, I was tempted !.

I closed out the net connection and let it mull over in my mind for a couple hours. I then came back to the computer and took another look at it. I was almost to the point of signing up, but still felt a nag in the back of my mind. The old saying 'If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is not true' kept popping into my mind.

It is funny because on the Survey Scout website they state to find out more on the company and how reliable they are, just do a web search and find out. So I took them at their word and fired up Google and did a search. Believe me there were lots of hits, but funny thing, I didn't find any that pro for the company. A typical report on Survey Scout Scam can be found by clicking on the Survey Scout Scam words. This was not the only site that was like this. There were many, many links showing that Survey Scout and most other companies of the like were nothing but sophisticated scams.

I did continue to read a few of the other links and did come upon a few that seemed to me to be much more forthright and beneficial as it pertains to surveys. One link that seems to have quite a few links to surveys can be found at Katies Hugs. I just did a quick view of the site and it does seem to be sincere and looks promising, however, I have no real idea of how accurate it is. I do plan on doing some more looking and if I do find anything (good, bad, or otherwise), I'll let you know.

Now as I'm fairly computer literate and a lot sceptical, I found it interesting in how close I came to 'laying down my dollars' for a scan. I can only think of how many people actually are taken in by scams such as these. Sheesh !

An old motto sure does come to mind. Be Careful Out There

No comments: